From Society for Neuroscience:
Stop Science Funding Cuts: Join the Day of Action
Huge cuts to U.S. research funding are planned for March 1 and the research community must mobilize quickly to oppose them. If the cuts, known as “sequestration,” take effect, NIH and NSF will be forced to eliminate as much as 25 percent of its grants this year, halting scientific momentum in its tracks. With just a few weeks remaining, this could be the last chance to prevent cuts before they go into effect.
Act now and join Research!America, along with other biomedical researchers, and contact your lawmakers through social media, calls, and letters to ask them to protect research funding from sequestration cuts.
Here are some things you can do now:
- Send a message to Congress. Join the thousands of SfN members who have sent messages to Congress opposing sequestration using SfN’s Action Center.
- Call your legislators directly and tell them how sequestration cuts will negatively affect your district, state, and the nation. See SfN’s Call-in Guide for more information.
- Tweet the President and congressional leadership by clicking the legislator’s name and signing in to Twitter (text can be edited before posting):
Funding for medical research is at risk. Tell Congress: We Need Cures, Not Cuts.
- President Barack Obama
- Rep. John Boehner, Speaker of the House
- Sen. Harry Reid, Senate Majority Leader
- Rep. Nancy Pelosi, House Minority Leader
- Sen. Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Leader
For more sample tweets, see SfN’s Social Media Guide.
- Write a letter to the editor to your local paper. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a sample letter and guidelines.